Saturday, July 14, 2012

Back Home from being at Home

Well I don't think that 4.5 weeks have ever gone by so fast in my life.

Being back in the States was wonderful. It was a whirlwind, but it was great.

I wasn't sure what to expect with reverse culture shock. What would stick out and be weird that used to be normal. Since it was a relatively brief visit, I don't think I actually experience that a whole lot. I did have a moment in Target where I verged on tears, just overwhelmed with the variety of stuff. If there was anything I perhaps struggled with other than the wealth of variety of stuff available all the time, was indecision. There were just so many options of everything that I had difficulty deciding on mych of anything. Thankfully there were friends and family members around who were happy to pick for me or be a voice of reason.

The first thing that stuck out to me coming home from the airport, much to the amusement of my Mom and sister who picked me up, was the sky. It was so blue and full of white billowy clouds. I exclaimed how beautiful the sky was on the trip home more than once. In Sudan the sky isn't really blue. It's more just bright, with maybe a hint of grayish, and red on dusty days. There are rarely clouds. Its a topic of conversation if there are.

So I enjoyed seeing all the people dear to my heart. I marvelled at nature--it is so good for my soul. I shopped at farmers markets and enjoyed all the things I can't here. Wore shorts, went running, met neighbors and friends of people who were curious about a girl and her life in Sudan. I answered lots and lots of questions. (Which I didn't mind one bit!) Thoroughly enjoyed the freedom of having a car and driving again. Not relying on public transport. Feeling like a normal part of the world around me. I got rained on and loved every second. Read through books outside on a rocking chair.

I don't feel quite as rested as I was hoping I would. Then again I'm not sure any of us are ever as rested as we would like to be. But it was a welcome break. An all to brief one. But it is good to be back. Excited for what the coming days and months have in store.

No comments:

Post a Comment