I take two buses to get home from either of the center's. I time it so that I can stay as late as possible without getting to the bus station at or around dark. One day last week I got a bus pretty easily, as I usually do from the younger boys center. But there was only me and another guy on there so I guess the driver decided to go back and start over to try to get more people. So he booted us and I got on another bus. This felloww decided to take a little shortcut (it's a pretty busy time of day on the roads) through some (unpaved) side streets. When we came back onto the road he started going down a dual highway in the wrong direction with oncoming traffic. We continued that for a spell, then he finally got on the correct side of the road when there was an opening. I saw at least one traffic cop, looking pretty bored, watch this go down.
When I get to the station and get off the bus I have to walk through all kinds of people and sellers and buses and mini-buses to get to the bus I need. The atmosphere is a little crazy, but I no longer find it overwhelming. But that day, though I can't verify it, I am almost certain that a man tried to snach my wallet out of my purse. I felt a hand (or something) reach in/on/near my bag. I spun around pretty quickly. But there were a zillion people around all walking hurriedly. I checked my bag and everything was still there. It made me mad though for a couple of minutes. I'm happy I just had two water bottles on top and that he didn't get anything. Mostly I felt a little disappointed that the picture in my mind of the Sudanese being basically trustworthy was now a little altered. Kind of like a "C'mon guys! You're better than that!" But it is a good reminder that I should probably be on my toes a little more. Though in less frequent occurences here than in other places, people do get stuff stolen with some regularity. And though I am feeling generally comfortable and routine with my goings on, I should keep in mind that because of my paleness I have little to no sense of anonyminity most anywhere I go here.
When I get to the station and get off the bus I have to walk through all kinds of people and sellers and buses and mini-buses to get to the bus I need. The atmosphere is a little crazy, but I no longer find it overwhelming. But that day, though I can't verify it, I am almost certain that a man tried to snach my wallet out of my purse. I felt a hand (or something) reach in/on/near my bag. I spun around pretty quickly. But there were a zillion people around all walking hurriedly. I checked my bag and everything was still there. It made me mad though for a couple of minutes. I'm happy I just had two water bottles on top and that he didn't get anything. Mostly I felt a little disappointed that the picture in my mind of the Sudanese being basically trustworthy was now a little altered. Kind of like a "C'mon guys! You're better than that!" But it is a good reminder that I should probably be on my toes a little more. Though in less frequent occurences here than in other places, people do get stuff stolen with some regularity. And though I am feeling generally comfortable and routine with my goings on, I should keep in mind that because of my paleness I have little to no sense of anonyminity most anywhere I go here.
No comments:
Post a Comment