Monday, August 13, 2012

Chats

I had a really nice afternoon one day last week with the littlies. I didn't exactly feel like going and dealing with multiple buses after 4 hours of Arabic class. But I went, of course, and it was good. The project for the last couple of weeks was having them make books for themselves. We took paper, made holes, bound the books. Then each day I gave them something different to write/illustrate on each page. Self-portrait, family, friends, school, future, goals etc. A few of the boys always take what we're doing very seriously and really work and try and sometimes I literally have to weild the pencils from their little hands when the time is up. I'm grateful for this.

On that same day one of the graduated boys who now lives in the halfway house and is going to start university soon was there visiting. He's got a gentle, thoughtful nature about him. We ended up leaving about the same time and rode the bus to the station together. We didn't talk the whole time, but for the majority of it. It was nice just...not being alone. It was nice to have someone to walk through the station with. Having someone talk with me in one of the parts of my day that are usually done solo made me feel less...alone. It was nice.

Made me think about how when someone just takes time to talk to you, acknowldeges you, makes an effort, it does mean something. When I do that with the boys its not meaningless. Sometimes I'll stay chatting with the older ones until it starts getting later/the sun starts going down. There have been a handful of occassions where they have said something about wasting my time or making me suffer them.To which I say, in more words, "Um, no. You're the reason I'm here." They're important. Worth my time, always.

The last two weeks I have had a different version of the same conversation with one of the older boys, Asbuur. (The same one I talked about here.) His big goal in life is to be really rich. So we've spent time talking about that and I've brought up how lots of money isn't really good and certainly not the most important thing in life (Lord, people, relationships). Some really good talks. I feel almost hypocritical, though. I don't lack for anything. I never have. I have never known hunger or what it's like to not have money for food. I don't know the poverty each of these boys have seen and faced or exactly how their families lived. I feel a little ridiculous denouncing these notions of wealth and material things. Because...I live in that world. I don't need for anything. But I do want them to see that money isn't the answer to everything and not the aim of life. That giving and not getting bring true joy. That the people they see on TV are not all they are cracked up to be. I pray that God gives me wisdom as I talk with these boys. That my words will reflect Him. And, too, that they'll be more than words and my life will share the same message.

Yes, conversation. I have been encouraged in it lately. Working on some new cool stuff with the older boys. We'll see where it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment