Saturday, March 31, 2012

Two Extremes

My housemate works at a Sudanese school here. Quite a wealthy school. We're talking the kids of the some of the richest families in Sudan. A couple of weeks ago my lovely housemate arranged for some of her Grade 7 boys to come to our older boys centre to play soccer and eat breakfast together. These two groups of kids are from phenomenonly different worlds. It was a bit awkward at points for some of them, but with a little encouragement the two groups of boys mixed so well together. I think everyone had a really great time.

That day I was supposed to lead a program with the two groups of boys in wire sculpting. We ran out of time, but I did get to show the wealthy boys some of the stuff that our boys have made and they were really impressed. A couple of them brought money to school and asked my teacher friend to buy some of it. It was great.

So on Friday my lovely housemate's school held a bazaar. This was the third one I have been to here, but this is the first one that was student led, run, and put on for charity--not to profit the school. It was the best one I have been to. Though I was sitting at the table selling the boys stuff most of the time, I did get to take a wander around and it was cool. Lots of tables of people selling goods; mostly for charitable orgs. All kinds of food, local artists, a talent show, even a cooking demo put on by a Sudanese pasta company. Just to reitearate--these are super wealthy families, most of them. Many have lived overseas, many are quite westernized, esspecially in terms of dress, music, etc. It is a bit of a different world than that of typical Sudan.

The lady who runs the centre's thought it would be a good idea for two of our boys to be at the table demonstrating the wire sculpting. So two of our 14ish year old boys came. I think they were a little overwhelmed with the experience. They were pretty quiet and shy the whole time, which is understandable. It was a new world for them for sure. Chaotic, and filled with mostly pretty wealthy folks. Stands and stands of (expensive, in their eyes, and in some cases my eyes, too!) trinkets, food, drinks, loud music.

But they got to see some of the stuff they worked hard to make, sell. They got to see (lots!) of kids and adults super-impressed with their work. They got to explain to some of the kids who asked how they make it. A few boys sat and watched our boys work for a little while. They got to see super rich kids amazed at what they can do.

We bought them burgers and sodas. Then some of the Grade 7 boys that they knew came and took them around for a little while to see everything. One of the boys that has befriended them and was super friendly on the day we played soccer is a son of one of the wealthiest men in Sudan. Crazy.

So I think they found the experience a little overwhelming, but I think they had fun. I hope so. I think another good thing, maybe, was for them to see what I go through to sell their work. Though it is an absolute joy to do it, it is also not as easy as I suspect they think it is. I dunno, I'll chat with them about how they felt about it when I go tomorrow. Though, I'm sure they won't tell me how they actually felt about it. But if their friends are around, their friends will tell me what they told them. So we'll see.

It was pretty cool to see the two worlds meet a little bit, and to hear what my teacher friend has relayed to me about what her boys have said since their interactions and learning more about street boys. I think its amazing for them to have their horizens and world broadened as well. To a better world and open hearts for everyone!

1 comment:

  1. I just wanted to say that I missed you. Love to read about these stories though!

    ReplyDelete