Sunday, March 25, 2012

Another Goodbye

April is the deadline for all of the Southerners to get out of the North or to have a visa to stay here. At the centre's were still a few Southern boys so this week they moved South to a centre down there. I didn't learn that they were leaving until the day before.

Goodbyes are a part of life. But it makes me sad. They're some sweet, gifted, funny boys. My heart is just sad to see them go. I get emotionally attached.

Yousif is leaving. He's about 14. A serious boy. Amazing at soccer. Not so great with any of the art stuff. But he always tries. He's polite, and always greets me. He's not one to speak unless he needs to. Thoughtful, mature, solid. Esspecially when I was first learning Arabic he was one of the ones who would get what I was trying to say. He has a great smile, one that he isn't overly generous with, and is always a joy to see. He is going to be a great man one day.

Gerang is older. He's 17 or so. Loud, funny, outgoing. Has the best, most personable disposition. Smily, joyful, ornery. Always has something to say. I'll miss him. He is hilarious and easy to have a conversation with. I asked him if he was happy to be going South, because I know he has a lot of pride in his home country. He said, with a smile but with a quiet almost forlorn tone that he was not happy. Which is the first time I have ever heard his voice in a quiet tone. Usually he bellows. It must be hard to leave your friends and life to start a new one. Esspecially in a land where conditions are very tough right now.

Sweet, sweet boys they are. I hope life is good for them in the South. I have spent time praying for them lately.

I know, esspecially in this line of work, there will constantly be goodbyes like this. I tend to err on the side of not showing emotion and being quick and maybe even a little nonchalant about it. I don't know why I put up a wall like that, but I do. I'm regretting already a little bit not saying a proper, heartfelt goodbye to all of them. I don't know which is worse.

But we live and grow and I just hope that whenever I make my next goodbye, I can do it with letting whoever know that they are loved and will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment