Thursday, February 9, 2012

This Week I:

Came within inches of hit and probably seriously injured by a rickshaw going wayyyy too fast. (To which a police officer sitting nearby, laughed).

Celebrated my one year Sudanniversary with cupcakes for the boys and pizza with my roommate.

Was talking with some of the teenage boys at the center and told them that I like to eat my eggs with the yolk not set. They were entirely discusted and one of them made gagging noises. Which I have never heard them do before.

Went into a hardware shop and completely shocked the men working there when I asked for what I needed in Arabic. They just stood and laughed at me for a minute. I get the laughter response a lot.

Accepted the fact that winter in Sudan is over. It hit 100 degrees two days ago. I am sad about this.

Had my first lesson in driving stick shift with my roommate. I wasn't pitiful. We practiced on a soccer field. Much to the amusement of the guys sitting around nearby. But when she wanted me to drive to the next place where we were going nearby I stalled out, lost confidence, and said let's try real roads another day. It was also my first time driving in over a year, and in Sudan at all. But I'm really excited to learn.

Brought my mp3 player and a small speaker for the boys to listen to music while they worked. We listened to some stuff I had picked for awhile then they started making requests. Their first request? Justin Beiber. I kid you not. (What is embarassing is that I actually have two of his songs). Requests to follow were Chris Brown, Lil Wayne, Rihanna, Eminem (I told them he was a potty mouth and I would never listen to his music and the shouldn't either), Santana, and Celine Dion. They were fine when I told them I didn't have some of the others they requested, but when I said I didn't have any Celine Dion they couldn't believe it. Most 'hip' Sudanese who listen to American music love her. Which I find really funny. The best part was them singing along to "Baby, Baby, Baby" because they don't know the words, just the sounds, so it was this big mumble of them murmering the chorus. It was awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment