We had some friends over for a little shindig last weekend. We asked folks to bring a snack to share. One of my friends showed up with a big bag of fried locusts! They look like giant grasshoppers. She got them for a mere 5sdg (about $1.30)! I'm a big fan of trying new foods. I was excited to dig in.
I ate a couple of them. I liked the crunchiness. I did not like the aftertaste or the little bits of wings and legs that remained in my teeth. ...Overshare?
My friend videoed me eating it. Its not very exciting. I take a bite, pick up a leg off the floor. And make a lying "Mmmm."
I also videoed my roommate. I am under strict orders not to post the video. So I won't. But it was much more entertaining. She debated for almost a full minute and needed a lot of encouragement. But she did it!
When I told the boys at the centre that we ate them it was met with laughs and questions. When they asked how many I ate and I told them I ate 4 or 5 they were really impressed and told me that I was very strong. There is one area of the country in particular where the people are known for eating jaraat (locusts) and the boys who originate from that area were very pleased that I had tried them.
My language helper and friend, Sana, was amused but not surprised when I told her that I tried something new this week. I think she has grown accustomed to my curiosity about new foods.
Also, I had my first dream in Arabic last night! That has to be some sort of good sign!
No comments:
Post a Comment