Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Talkin' Politics

Yesterday at one of the center's I sat chatting with some of the staff as we were eating lunch. One of them brought up politics--a subject that comes up with some regularity. He asked which of the parties I support in the US. I kind of smiled and waved my hand and said "Jesus." I said it with a little humor, but I meant it.

I explained that there were things about both of the parties that I didn't like. Then said, as I have repeated many times here, that I don't really like politics and I don't like talking politics. Explained that I don't know a whole lot about what is going on, though I do have opinions about certain things.

A bit later I commented how much men in Sudan like talking politics. One of the older male staff members said that it's different for me because no matter which party I support or don't, and even if I do or don't vote, that I'm still protected. Both parties secure my freedom. So I can afford to ignore it if I want to. He said that they are not free here. Depending on who is in power or not could change a lot in their lives. Esspecially for the believers here. It has happened and is happening that any day the government can show up at a church and claim the property and shut it down. There isn't flagrant persecution, but there are whiffs in the air of things that could be forthcoming. Read anything in the news about Sudan and you'll see that there is a lot going on here. There has been a great deal of fighting in some areas. A possible re-declaration of war. Rising prices. Growing political opposition. Hunger. Genocide.

It was such a good and true point that he made. And he did it without being at all condesending, which he could have been. That I take for granted the freedoms that I possess simply because of where I was born. How lucky are we that no matter who comes or goes in office, we are still basically free. Of course you can argue about certain freedoms being infringed on or whatever. But it doesn't even compare. Our quabbles over things are vaild, yes. But in light of the things going on here and elsewhere I feel really, really lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment