Monday, December 19, 2011

Christmas Party

Saturday was the Christmas Celebration for the center's. I arrived in the morning in the midst of a flurry of activity all around. Cleaning, decorating, chair delivery, last minute things. You could tell that all of the boys were excited. There was that feeling in the air, you know? That sort of joyful expectation.

I helped decorate and made a last minute donkey mask. I chatted with boys and staff as everything was getting set up. We ate lunch and then the littlies got dressed in their new clothes and shoes that they had picked out at the suuk with the teachers. (Their main Christmas present). They were so cute. I watched as they eached walked proudly out of the dorm and waited to be noticed and doted on. Most of the clothes were a little loud. We're talking bright button down shirts, shimmery blue (or red or purple) jeans, and bright shoes. Precious.

A friend of ours, a very nice British man, agreed to dress up as Santa (aka Baba Noel) and give out presents to the younger boys. It was fun.

The program started a little while later, and people kept arriving and didn't stop. The boys of course (older, younger, and graduated), the staff and their families, people from the church right next to the center, friends, and quite honestly probably a few curious folks that wandered in from the street. A few hundred folks at least.

The older boys sang a few songs and read the OT prophecies. The littlies sang some songs (my favorite was "We Wish You a Merry Christmas") and acted out the Christmas story. Them dressed as angels was maybe the cutest thing I have seen all year.

It was a long day, but a really good one. Everyone, esspecially the boys, seemed to have a wonderful time. With all the decorating, excitement, singing and hoopla it really felt like Christmastime.

A white guy dressed as Santa didn't hurt either.

Another favorite moment of the night was later when the program was over and people were everywhere chatting. A young guy and his friend that I had never met before started asking me a few questions. I immediately know where the line of questioning is going. From "What's your name?" and "Where are you from?" to the not-so-subtle "So...how does someone get married in your town/country/village?" a few short minutes later. (Seriously. Every time.)

So as soon as I got the chance I said, "Oh I'm sorry, there's my friend I need to talk to!" and bee-lined.

A few minutes later I was talking with some of the older boys from the center and the two guys came over and interruped us and pestered me with questions about getting a visa to the US and when I was going back. These sweet teenage boys that I teach stepped in and were basically like "Dude, she's our teacher. Leave her alone. What do you want?" And they left. Thanks, boys! Wish I could keep them around with me all the time.

Today we had the presents and a little program with the older boys. (They're too cool for Baba Noel, of course). They got their results for the term, Christmas presents (new watches for each one), and I gave out the money that they made from the wire sculptures they made. It was lovely. They are all very motivated to get to work on more stuff. Yes!

Hope you are enjoying the holiday season as much as I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment