The last 2 months or so with the older boys I have been buying rolls of bendable wire from the tool shop and pretty much letting them go to town; providing some ideas and motivation along the way. The idea was to maybe make some stuff nice enough to sell. Some pocket money for them and a way of earning revenue for the center.
It was their first try making these sorts of things and I was pretty impressed with some of the creativity and ingenuity some of them pulled out.
| One of my favorites. |
On Friday was a Bazaar hosted by a local international elementary school. I bought a table with high hopes that the stuff would sell.
And it did! Not all of it, but probably 2/3 of what we brought. I was so pleased. There were a lot of people interested in what the boys were doing and in the centre's. Even got a few orders for items that sold quickly. (There were a few disappointed folks when the donkey cart coke can went fast!) I got so much postive feedback and it was such an encouragement. There was even a lady who works at a local resteraunt here (one of the more expensive ones, which already donates all of their day old bread/muffins/cakes to our centre's 2 days/week) and asked about the possibility of exhibiting some of it to sell on one of their days that they promote local artisans. Asked about even the boys coming to demonstrate and making candleholders or things for the resteraunt!
So I hope I can keep these boys motivated to keep making stuff. Some of them really enjoy it and are super gifted with it. So we'll see what happens, but I'm so happy. The lady who founded the centre's told me that this is the first time in 15 years that the boys have made anything that was not only sellable, but also that people showed such a serious interest in.
Yes!
On the way out one of the other tables who was selling some tools and art supplies and things stopped me to tell me to go pick out 200sdg (About $80) worth of stuff for the boys. I was able to get a bunch of pliers--which we really need to help make the wire stuff! As well as some other supplies. Such a gift!
| People loved the bikes. |
| One of the boys cut up a 7 Up bottle and made sunglasses. |
May God Bless you as you are a blessing to others dear Beth.
ReplyDelete