Sunday, August 7, 2011

Sudanniversary!

Today is my 6 month anniversary in Sudan! Has it been that long, really?

How am I feeling at 6 months?

Good. Settled, mostly. More or less competent in making my way around/paying bills/food buying/public transportationing. My Arabic is now at a broken converstaional level. I'm pretty happy with that. It's hard, but I'm making progress. Whoop whoop.

This particular week and next I'm feeling a little...stretched. I'm filling in at a local international school as a middle school language arts teacher for two weeks. This is not something I feel confident or excited about. But it is what it is and I don't mind helping out as I was literally the only possible substitute. The big thing is though that I am doing this on top of my Arabic classes, tutoring, and time with the boy's. And it's still Ramadan so there are still loud neighbors late into the night and 4am drumming and sometimes preaching from the mosques too. So it's going to get a little interesting and I'm pretty sure that tears may be involved at some point (if I'm being honest). But...you can do anything for two weeks. That's what I'm telling myself at least. Middle school language arts...yeah.

But back to my Sudanniversary...it's been a great 6 months so far. I still can't believe that I get to wake up in Africa everyday. It is such a gift and I feel so lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment