Thursday, August 18, 2011

Furry Dashboards

How have I not addressed these yet?

In many of the cars, amjats (run-down mini-van type vehicles that function as taxis), and other modes of transportation you will find fake fur covering the dashboards and sometimes steering wheels too. Its pretty fluffy and always looks a bit like the matted fur of a dog that went rolling around in the dust. Kind of funny and mildy horrifying. I suppose they make sense though. Otherwise I'm sure that it would always be way too hot to the touch. Not a look I think I'd ever go for in a car myself though.

I have also been amazed with the amount of trinkets some of the rickshaw drivers squeeze into their windshields. Some of these rickshaws are seriously tricked out. I try to avoid the ones that literally have the windshield and mirrors covered in little things hanging down. I've seen many of these fellows at intersections and driving along moving their heads around trying to see through all of the junk they put there.

The Sudanese taste has the affinitiy for the gaudy. Furniture, home decor, cars, buses--more is more. Esspecially the wealthier Sudanese really love all the painted, gold, shiny, sparkly stuff they can get. Our tastes for interior decorating differ to say the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment