Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Flying Buses

For everyone fasting for Ramadan the fast breaks at 7pm. I'm usually out around this time and it has made public transportation interesting.

One day I waited until the time was a little too close to 7 to come home from the centre. It takes me 2 buses to get home. I got one to the station, but as soon as I got to the station I was told that the bus I needed wouldn't be going for 40 minutes because the driver wanted to drink some water and eat.

This has only happened once though. Partly because since then I have made a point to leave by 6:00. BUT this is probably also the scariest time to travel! Now, the driving here isn't known for being good or safe per se. But 45 minutes before the whole town is breaking fast...the roads are like a danger zone! I can probably count on one hand the days that I haven't seen a car accident as I have been heading home at night. For real. I see one almost every night. And the buses are flyyyyying. I am equal parts delighted and horrified riding a bus home. I have been getting home in about 40 minutes instead of the usual 50-60. But there are times too that I have wondered if I was going to go flying out of the seat and into a window or something. Also the bus is less likely to come to a complete stop for you to get off.

So if you are ever in a Middle Eastern country around 7pm during Ramadan, know that the public transport is not for the faint of heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment