Thursday, July 7, 2011

Maybe not Treasure, but Certainly not Trash!

In Sudan the bed frames are strung with really sturdy plastic string. People throw a mattress on top (or don't) and that is where you sleep. They are actually pretty comfortable. When the strings start to sag or get old, it is cut off and the beds are re-strung. This is used on chair frames as well.


This is what the beds look like.
 The older boys centre has recently had all of their beds restrung. Leaving a grandiose pile of dusty, used, but still really sturdy plastic string. Trash? No! Potential!

I took an armful home and started playing. Over the course of a few days I made a bag. I took it to the centre and a few of the boys were pretty impressed and when I said I could teach them they were enthusiastic.

So, the last two weeks I have been teaching the older boys some macrame. I'd be lying if I said that the enthusiasm continued. Mostly they don't want to do the work involved. But a few of them are really into it and really good at it. Most of the rest of them humor me and half-heartedly work on it while I'm there. Oh teenaged boys. The fact that a few of them like it and even work on in their spare time is enough for me for now! There are plenty of projects and things I have in mind. Hopefully each will find a little niche, and maybe make a little money and start the road to self sufficiency (while improving their motor skills which very surely need some help). 


At the very least hopefully a few of them are starting to see the potential in the things around them and in themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment