At the beginning of the summer I was feeling a little guilty about planning a break from Sudan already. But these last few weeks have been intensive--lots of time at the centre's, some extra work, lots of heat, visiting with neighbors, most of my interactions being in Arabic. I am exhausted. So, really, this "required vacation" to Kenya could not have come at a better time.
Yesterdays flight was supposed to be pretty quick and easy. Was at the airport at 1:30am, was supposed to land in Nairobi about 6:30am. Thanks to a little dust storm and some other difficulties we didn't actually get to Nairobi until about 3:30pm. I got to know the Khartoum airport really well. But I made some friends and made it here. And I am FREEZING. It is Kenya's winter. So really we're talking only like 55 degree lows and 75 degree highs. But that is a far cry from the 100-120 degree days I am used to. But last night was the first night in 5.5 months that I slept below any sort of covers, it was nice.
I am staying with a fabulous NZ couple that I go to know when I was here waiting on my visa at the beginning of the year. We stopped at the store on the way home and I got totally stoaked about all the amazing fruit and veg Kenya has. Such a big, beautiful selection! And all pretty darn cheap too--unlike Sudan! Avocado's, asparagus, papayas, passionfruit, plums, broccoli, sweet corn, sweet potatoes...I am going eat very well these next 2 weeks!
But the best part is that one of my best friends is here in Kenya with her church, and she will be sticking around for an extra week to hang out with me. And we're going camping!
Good food, great friends, a backyeard, a break from nonstop sweating...and getting to run outside in daylight. I'm feeling refreshed already!
No comments:
Post a Comment