We have lots of different ways to say yes. Yeah. Yup. Uh-huh. Mm-hmm.
So do the Sudanese. Nom. Aywa. Ay. And this clicking noise you do with the side of your mouth. I like it. I use it a lot.
Recently some friends came back from a trip to Ethiopia. They were saying that there instead of the click for yes that Ethiopians do this like small gasp with their throat. I said, "Wait, do Eritreans do that too??"
See, we have a lady who is an Eritrean refugee who comes and cleans for us once a week. Shes the sweetest lady. Maybe not the best cleaner in the whole world, and unintentionally hides stuff in the kitchen sometimes (the day after she comes usually involves a bit of hide and seek in the kitchen trying to find certain things). But she is a delightful lady and goes around singing as she cleans.
My housemate and I both had been noticing for awhile that when we talk with her she does these little gasps a lot. We were starting to get a little worried about it and had discussed with each other offering to pay for a doctors visit for her.
Well, as it turns out, Eritreans do the little gasp to mean "yes" as well. My housemate and I laughed and laughed when we learned this and were happy we hadn't expressed our concerns about her health just yet.
So do the Sudanese. Nom. Aywa. Ay. And this clicking noise you do with the side of your mouth. I like it. I use it a lot.
Recently some friends came back from a trip to Ethiopia. They were saying that there instead of the click for yes that Ethiopians do this like small gasp with their throat. I said, "Wait, do Eritreans do that too??"
See, we have a lady who is an Eritrean refugee who comes and cleans for us once a week. Shes the sweetest lady. Maybe not the best cleaner in the whole world, and unintentionally hides stuff in the kitchen sometimes (the day after she comes usually involves a bit of hide and seek in the kitchen trying to find certain things). But she is a delightful lady and goes around singing as she cleans.
My housemate and I both had been noticing for awhile that when we talk with her she does these little gasps a lot. We were starting to get a little worried about it and had discussed with each other offering to pay for a doctors visit for her.
Well, as it turns out, Eritreans do the little gasp to mean "yes" as well. My housemate and I laughed and laughed when we learned this and were happy we hadn't expressed our concerns about her health just yet.
No comments:
Post a Comment