Monday, May 14, 2012

Known

About an 10 minute walk from our house is a nice fruit and veg market. I traipse on down there once a week or so. I go to same veg guy and the same fruit guy. They're nice, I feel like they don't cheat me, and if they don't have something that I want and it's available they'll walk down to another friends stall and get it for me.

Two weeks ago my fruit guy was not there and his stall was empty. I bought fruit from the guy that has a stall next to him. He'll get grapefruits from him if he doesn't have any when I come.

So last week when I went to stock up my fruit guy asked where I had been. I told him that he wasn't there the last time that I came. To which he responded "Yes, I know. You bought fruit from [insert friends name]." And pointed to him. I laughed and said "Oh yeah, I did," realized that I suppose they would discuss that in the hours they sit near each other all day.

But then he said, "Yes you only bought grapefruits and honeydews, no bananas." To which I sort of chuckled and said, "Yeah...maybe...I don't remember."

So if I had any allusions of anonominity and thought that perhaps I could sneak in and out unnoticed...well, they are gone now.

Esspecially as the only foreigners in this part of town we are learning that our behaviors are quite well noticed by all. It's a little weird, I'm not gonna lie.

No comments:

Post a Comment