I don't have a whole lot in way of an update on what happened to the church that was attacked and looted. The students who were there are pretty shaken up from what I hear. About half of them are Southerners and are eager to get to the South now. As they are, understandably, worried that the anti-Southern sentiments will increase and they will be in more danger. So the local international church is helping them get the documents they need. They also lost all of their belongings, and they need certificates from the Bible College. But the college can't produce them because all of the computers and files were burned. It's an ugly situation. Also the future for the property and the boys center is uncertain right now. But we'll see. From all the reports I've heard from people that the center seems largely untouched from what happened. Though there was a lot of looting it seems the center is sound. Which is wonderful to hear. Esspecially since the boys weren't able to get any of their personal belongings (of few that they have) before they were quickly evacuated.
But it seems God may be being glorified in unexpected ways. It will be interesting, albeit a bit scary, to see what the future holds. I will say that there seems to be an almost tangible increased tension in the air. I don't feel in danger at all. ...But everyone is stocking up and reviewing crisis plans and such. Just in case. Interesting times here, indeed.
But the mundane life and day-to-day go on.
After being rescheduled 4 or 5 times by the director of the older boys, yesterday I was finalllyyyyy able to give the boys their earnings from the wire things they have made. Suffice to say that after being rescheduled several times they were more than ready to have their earnings in hand.
Outwardly, though, I was more excited than they were. Had been looking forward to this day for awhile. Most of the teachers from both centers were there as well. Everyone clapped and hooted for each other. One of the boys earned significantly more than the others. He creative, a hard worker, and would consistently work on things even when I wasn't there. He almost earned a laborers monthly wage. So, no small amount. After we clapped for the last one almost in unison four of the teachers said "I'm coming to make things next time!" It was funny.
Beforehand though I gave them a little motivational talk and one of the teachers reminded them of goals and saving and not just frittering the money away. So hopefully they will be wise. But also...they're teenagers who rarely, if ever, have pocket money. So I hope they get to enjoy it a bit. I do think the next time around I will see a distinct increase in motivation from some of them. :) We'll see.
Such a joy to see and be a part of them learning that hard work pays off. And, I have to say, that it is immensely satisfying to see what was a small, hopeful, idea succeed and improve, if only a little, these boys lives and the center.
In spite of everything--maybe in light of everything, there is so, so much to be thankful for.
But it seems God may be being glorified in unexpected ways. It will be interesting, albeit a bit scary, to see what the future holds. I will say that there seems to be an almost tangible increased tension in the air. I don't feel in danger at all. ...But everyone is stocking up and reviewing crisis plans and such. Just in case. Interesting times here, indeed.
But the mundane life and day-to-day go on.
After being rescheduled 4 or 5 times by the director of the older boys, yesterday I was finalllyyyyy able to give the boys their earnings from the wire things they have made. Suffice to say that after being rescheduled several times they were more than ready to have their earnings in hand.
Outwardly, though, I was more excited than they were. Had been looking forward to this day for awhile. Most of the teachers from both centers were there as well. Everyone clapped and hooted for each other. One of the boys earned significantly more than the others. He creative, a hard worker, and would consistently work on things even when I wasn't there. He almost earned a laborers monthly wage. So, no small amount. After we clapped for the last one almost in unison four of the teachers said "I'm coming to make things next time!" It was funny.
Beforehand though I gave them a little motivational talk and one of the teachers reminded them of goals and saving and not just frittering the money away. So hopefully they will be wise. But also...they're teenagers who rarely, if ever, have pocket money. So I hope they get to enjoy it a bit. I do think the next time around I will see a distinct increase in motivation from some of them. :) We'll see.
Such a joy to see and be a part of them learning that hard work pays off. And, I have to say, that it is immensely satisfying to see what was a small, hopeful, idea succeed and improve, if only a little, these boys lives and the center.
In spite of everything--maybe in light of everything, there is so, so much to be thankful for.
No comments:
Post a Comment