Unless I am with someone, I have never seen another white person at the bus station...or on a bus for that matter. I know that other people use the buses, I just haven't seen any other than myself yet. It makes me feel good about myself that in a sea of hundreds or more people around the bus lot, that I can navigate it on my own. It makes me feel totally cool. I also still feel really accomplished when I make the right hand signs and flag down the right buses and sucessfully avoid the ones I don't want. I still usually ask for confirmation that I am getting on the right bus though. But the a good number of the Sudanese do that too, so it's ok.
First time I managed to wander out in whatever city in Brazil I was in and read a menu, order a meal, pay for it without any commotion and then purchase a few necessities down the street left me feeling like I'd earned a graduate degree in international studies.
ReplyDelete