I was in Kenya for a week. (An interesting week to be in Kenya for sure.) I got back on Thursday. And came back to the warmest reception ever. I was assaulted with hugs, told how fat I'd gotten, and a few of the girls even picked me up and carried me. One told me she had a dream about me coming back and how happy she was it came true. They said they missed me and one of the girls dearest to my heart told me I am her best friend. My welcome back was one of the most adorable and heart-warming things I've experienced in a long time.
I was very happy to see them too. It is said often, and perhaps not practiced as much as it should be, in the ex-pat world that you should take a break before you feel like you desperately need it. I took a break just as tiredness was going into exhaustion. So I think I timed it just right. I left when I was still happy to be coming shortly back.
Now that I have been back a few days, I'm still happy to be here. There are a few grating things that I'm trying to find solutions for to take the stress level down and improve my quality of life. Like the small roach infestation in my room at the moment (so gross), and being a door keeper for the dormitory eating up sometimes as much as 45 minutes in my day. Drives me crraaaazzzzyyy.
The girls are delighted with the new bead colors I bought in Kenya and also bits so we can make earrings and other things. They continue to surprise me with their creativity. So happy they're starting to use ideas of their own. One girl told me a few days ago that if she can't find a job after she completes school she will make these things and sell them to earn money. Which, of course, is the whole idea. But for her to process it in her own mind that way and reach that conclusion on her own is encouraging.
This week my "assistant" also starts. I was nervous and intimidated to have to interview and hire someone and wanted to make sure it was someone I could be comfortable with. I prayed God would make it easy, and he did. A lady who works here suggested this woman, and she's awesome. Had a deadbeat husband so made crafts of her own to sell to put her six kids through school, who are all grown up now. She knows how to market and what to do. And said she wants to help girls like the ones at CCC, so her heart is in the right place as well. Which is important. I'm nervous about orientation and how to manage and be a person in charge. But someone told me recently that the best leaders are those who don't want to be. I don't know the truth about that statement but I like the sound of it. Let's hope it can be true for me.
I was very happy to see them too. It is said often, and perhaps not practiced as much as it should be, in the ex-pat world that you should take a break before you feel like you desperately need it. I took a break just as tiredness was going into exhaustion. So I think I timed it just right. I left when I was still happy to be coming shortly back.
Now that I have been back a few days, I'm still happy to be here. There are a few grating things that I'm trying to find solutions for to take the stress level down and improve my quality of life. Like the small roach infestation in my room at the moment (so gross), and being a door keeper for the dormitory eating up sometimes as much as 45 minutes in my day. Drives me crraaaazzzzyyy.
The girls are delighted with the new bead colors I bought in Kenya and also bits so we can make earrings and other things. They continue to surprise me with their creativity. So happy they're starting to use ideas of their own. One girl told me a few days ago that if she can't find a job after she completes school she will make these things and sell them to earn money. Which, of course, is the whole idea. But for her to process it in her own mind that way and reach that conclusion on her own is encouraging.
This week my "assistant" also starts. I was nervous and intimidated to have to interview and hire someone and wanted to make sure it was someone I could be comfortable with. I prayed God would make it easy, and he did. A lady who works here suggested this woman, and she's awesome. Had a deadbeat husband so made crafts of her own to sell to put her six kids through school, who are all grown up now. She knows how to market and what to do. And said she wants to help girls like the ones at CCC, so her heart is in the right place as well. Which is important. I'm nervous about orientation and how to manage and be a person in charge. But someone told me recently that the best leaders are those who don't want to be. I don't know the truth about that statement but I like the sound of it. Let's hope it can be true for me.
No comments:
Post a Comment