The last few days I've spent in Melut, a large
village along the Nile where there is a small theological college. I was
looking at a project with orphans and a school there. I was also able to visit
with some friends I knew in my desert home. They studied Arabic at the same
school I did for almost a year. They are a lovely family and I thoroughly
enjoyed visiting and catching up with them.
July 9 was South Sudan’s second
independence day. There was a big celebration
across the street with lots of speeches, singing, dancing and general
celebrating. We were just there for a little while, It’s always nice to share
in celebrations. The people up here are mostly Dinka, who are well known for being
quite tall, so pretty much kids over the age of, um, 10, are taller than me. So
I didn’t actually get to see a whole
lot. J
There are a few khawaja (white foreigner)
families here in Melut, but in outer areas there aren’t so many. For the
celebrations big lorries of excited folks came in from surrounding villages and
areas. We went back later in the afternoon to catch the dancing and drumming.
Unfortunately, we got there just as it was ending. And I think all of the kids
(and teenagers and some adults) thought that our little group was the next act!
More than once we became surrounded with curious folks shaking our hands,
petting our heads, and in some cases taking pictures with their phones. We made
our way across the lot and the ladies I was with knew a family who lived
nearby. We were able to duck in for a visit and escape the crowd.
We had a lovely time with their friends. We
sat in a mud-walled tukul and had a nice visit with these ladies they know who
work at the college compound. It felt familiar, shooting the breeze chatting
away with a bunch of ladies in Arabic drinking hot tea spiced with cardamom and
cinnamon, eating overly-sweet caramels that they reserve for holidays and
special occasions. We talked about the festivities, sick friends, and somehow
got on the subject of childbirth. One lady shared how she’d delivered two
babies breech in her home. The first, a little boy, didn’t survive. The second,
her youngest girl she delivered after two day so of labor in her home. When she
finally came out she wasn’t breathing so they slapped her with cold water until
the little one started gasping and crying. She shared this with such calm and
ease it was as if she was talking about what she was making for dinner. These
ladies possess an immeasurable amount of strength.
Later that day I was chatting to a few of the people on campus and made an exciting discovery. Stay tuned!
No comments:
Post a Comment