Sunday, November 18, 2012

Bits

There is a lot going on in my heart and life these days. I've tried a few times the last couple days to type it out into some sort of sense. It doesn't feel like anything worth sharing yet. This entry feels like a little bit of a cop out. I knew it was time to post something but I don't have any good stories or anything. There is a lot going on but it just feels like bits and pieces.

Our neighbors had a precious little baby and a few days later with no warning a giant tent was erected, literally, 6 inches from our front door and it was party day. People up and down our steps all day. My housemate was gone for the weekend but I knew I had to stop by. Make an appearance, if you will. So I went and ate, tried to chat, sat there awkwardly. My life. You begin to grow accustomed to these sorts of situations. Smiling and rolling with it are an art I'm beginning to grasp.

Part of last week and for a few days this week I'm substitute teaching at an international school for a friend so she could go to a wedding in Switzerland. Said friend left detailed and easy lesson plans. The class is fun and well behaved. One of the boys has the most expressive faces I have ever seen. One of the days was, all of the sudden, declared Muslim New Years and therefore a public holiday, so we all got the day off. So it's been a pretty easy gig. And I was promised some Swiss chocolate in return for my services. Can't beat that!

Today I was even given a ride home (no bus!) and as I was waiting I got to chatting with a few of the teaching assistants, who are all Sudanese. I started chattering away in Arabic with them (there is a no Arabic rule during school hours to get the kids who are mostly non-native speakers to become completely fluent.) They were impressed with my skills. Which, I think they are pretty easily impressed, but it was good encouragement all the same.

These next few weeks are buuuuusy. I am facing them with a tidbit of apprehension, but I know all will be fine. I love this time of year, even from afar. I'm feeling homesick, but I'm very thankful that I have community here to share the holidays with.

Hopefully next week I'll feel less frazzled (though that is unlikely) and I'll have something better/more interesting to share. Thanks for reading! Sorry if my posts are a let-down sometimes!

1 comment:

  1. Reconnected with your Dad last week. It had been a long time!!! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete