Yesterday some friends and I went to a Sudanese public pool.
It was lovely. There is one pool that most of the foreigners use. It is at the Greek Club. I've never been, but it's supposed to be really nice. But it is expensive--30sdg which is about $10. A friend told us about this Sudanese pool, so we checked it out. It is 5sdg for an hour ($1.75ish) and the women's hours are 3:30-7:00 on Tuesdays. Not sure about the rest of the week, but it is always, always segregated.
The pool is actually pretty big, not too crowded, and you have to wear a swim cap. I kind of like that rule. Because it is only women you are fine to just wear a regular (one piece) bathing suit. That surprised me. Not even the "Muslim" bathing suits that companies make that look essentially like a wetsuit.
Most of the swimmers were kids and teenagers. Actually, now that I think about it, my friends and I were the only adults that I saw in the pool. And clearly not many foreigners go there either. We had such a nice time though. We swam laps and cooled off....and then came home and ate cold melon from the fridge. It was a lovely summer afternoon!
It was lovely. There is one pool that most of the foreigners use. It is at the Greek Club. I've never been, but it's supposed to be really nice. But it is expensive--30sdg which is about $10. A friend told us about this Sudanese pool, so we checked it out. It is 5sdg for an hour ($1.75ish) and the women's hours are 3:30-7:00 on Tuesdays. Not sure about the rest of the week, but it is always, always segregated.
The pool is actually pretty big, not too crowded, and you have to wear a swim cap. I kind of like that rule. Because it is only women you are fine to just wear a regular (one piece) bathing suit. That surprised me. Not even the "Muslim" bathing suits that companies make that look essentially like a wetsuit.
Most of the swimmers were kids and teenagers. Actually, now that I think about it, my friends and I were the only adults that I saw in the pool. And clearly not many foreigners go there either. We had such a nice time though. We swam laps and cooled off....and then came home and ate cold melon from the fridge. It was a lovely summer afternoon!
No comments:
Post a Comment