Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Mixed Bag

Monday night after I wrote my last post I had dinner with some old friends and some new friends. All folks about my age--a British couple, Kenyan guy, Pakistani guy, and an American guy. We had a lot of fun. Of course the bin Laden situation came up and we got to talk about it. Really interesting to hear everyone's thoughts and opinions. We mostly didn't agree about everything, but we are united in faith and it was an incredibly respectful and casual discussion. Then when it was time to leave it was well after dark and therefore unsafe for me to take the bus, the Pakistani guy, true to his culture, insisted on not letting me ride the amjat home alone, then paid for me.

Then in my class today--with 2 other Americans, a Kenyan, German, and South Korean, led by our Sudanese teacher, we got to hear how the Sudanese are feeling about the bin Laden news. It very much seems to be a situation where they really don't like my country and their policies, but they don't have anything against any of us personally who are here. I'm not exactly going to go shouting from the rooftops where I'm from, but I really don't feel unsafe in any way. What an interesting and insightful couple of days.

Oh, and I totally (ever so slowly) read an Arabic newspaper headline today.

No comments:

Post a Comment