Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Muzhil!

There are 28 letters in the Arabic alphabet. Each letter has 3 forms for how it appears in a word depending on whether it is the first letter, the last, or in the middle. 6 of the letters don't connect to the following letter in word form. Each letter also has 3 pronunciations depending on the annotations you can add. But in Arabic writing they don't use the pronunciation notes, you just have to know. So figuring out how to pronounce words is still a guessing game. Also, there are many more throaty and gutteral letters and sounds. These are hard. Esspecially for girls I think.

But today was the first day in my reading and writing class that I didn't feel completely stupid. We have a new teacher and as he was walking around to look at our writing he stopped at mine and said "Muzhil." Which means amazing. Then he said that it was like an artist. He was impressed for real.



I am not tryting to toot my horn or anything...really before today each r+w class I left feeling a fool. I am pretty happy with how my spoken Arabic is going, but until today reading and writing has seemed impossible. The little pat on the back today makes it seem possible.

1 comment:

  1. Major triumphs begin as small victories. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete