Sunday, February 6, 2011

My Headlamp, Really?!

I have written about 6 starter sentences and erased all of them and I am not sure how to start this. So lets just dive in, shall we?

Upon arriving back at the flat after church we (Chris, the lady with whom I am staying and I) were having a lot of trouble getting the key to work in the door. She fiddled with it, I fiddled with it and we were getting nowhere. So she sent for some help and I was finally able to push the door in with a small amount of force and get it to open. I walk in and everything looks normal. I turn the corner to my room...um...Chris...my computer is gone! She goes down to her room...mine too! And my money!All of our drawers and cabinets were open and had been rifled through.

We were robbed today while we were out. So we get the guards, the neighbors start coming, after awhile it was clear that the guards had not contacted the police. So Chris drove to the station which is nearby and they came after a little while. Asked questions, dusted for prints. The landlady came. Some friends of Chris's came by. Not the best afternoon of my life. Continued to go a littleeee bit downhill. Was trying to print my visa form and it was not and still is not working. During that time I burned the granola I was making (I needed a cooking project to occupy myself). A little while later Chris and I were singing and praising God and thanking him for life and safety and His goodness.Wouldn't you know it, the power goes out. I immediately just start laughing. We go outside to the balcony as there was still a bit of sunlight and kept singing.

The building locksmith guy finally came, he had been out of town and just got back, and performed some emergency first aid on the door so that it at least closes and locks for the night, and is putting a new lock on tomorrow. Afterwards Chris and I went around to each room and prayed in and over it. It is unsettling to be in a place where strangers have been going through and taking your things. Also, all signs kind of point to the fact that it was someone who lives in these flats. They had to have known we were gone because they used considerable force to get in. They also had to have known that the people that stay in the flat across from us were gone as well, as they would have heard them otherwise. Also the, trustworthy, guard said that there had been no visitors for a long time. Not a great feeling. Also, you can access the surrounding flats from the roof, just climb over and go down the stairs. So really no one on the ground could have seen them at all. They knew what they were doing. Jerks.

All things considered, I am so thankful. That we were not here, that we are alive, that the whole place was not torn apart, that mostly they did not take anything that cannot be replaced. Both of our laptops were stolen. I had a few hundred dollars taken, Chris had a significant amount of money taken, as well as her camera, computer bag, and a gold necklace that meant a great deal to her. I THOUGHT that my passport had been taken, as I had kept it with my money. For whatever reason, and I don't even remember doing it, I guess I had moved it onto the spare bed under a pile of papers. So thankfully I have that. They left my credit card that was sitting on my desk, as well as my Kindle and mp3 player, Chris's Ipod, and a few other things. BUT I noticed a few hours later that my headlamp was missing. It had been sitting on my bed table for use when the power goes out. Chris checked, as hers had been out too, and hers had been taken as well. So random! Really, our headlamps?! Really?!

Long day, and a lot of errands and fixing of things to do tomorrow. Thanks for all the sweet emails, prayers, and words of support. I appreciate it so much.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Beth! I've been periodically checking out your blog and pictures, because it's really great to get a personal perspective on how things are going over there. I'm glad you are able to keep your spirits up despite that jerk-ish incident, and that, like you said, you weren't there when they broke in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth,

    I am in awe of your stories that you are sharing! I think your future book is being written right here. I can only imagine what you are seeing, feeling, hearing and experiencing. May God continue to bless you and keep you safe!

    Patricia Houck's Mom....Mary

    ReplyDelete